What is Radon Gas

Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas.

You can't see radon, and you can't smell it or taste it, but it may be a problem in your home.

Radon is estimated to cause many thousands of deaths each year. That's because when you breathe air containing radon, you can get lung cancer. In fact, the Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. Only smoking causes more lung cancer deaths. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, your risk of lung cancer is especially high.

How does Radon get into your home

You’re exposed to radon when you breathe it in. High amounts of radon may be found in the workplace, a school, or any building. You spend the most time in your home, so that’s where radon exposure is most likely.

Radon can come up through the ground and into your home through cracks in the foundation. Once it’s through the cracks, it can get trapped inside, where it builds up. It can also get into your home through well water. Rarely, building materials have been found to release radon into buildings.

Radon exposure can happen in any type of home, whether it has a basement, a crawl space, or is built on a slab. But it’s more likely to accumulate in homes that are:

  • very well insulated

  • tightly sealed

  • located where the soil contains a lot of uranium, thorium, and radium

© 2023 by The HANDYMAN Ltd. Proudly created with Wix.com.